International Student Hiring Process
1) Obtain Work Clearance from International Services
- ELC students must request a verification of their legal status from the ELC.
- This status is valid through the expiration date of the I-20 (usually 1-2 semesters)
- BYU Students must request a verification of their legal status from International Services
2) Find a Job
The following list items are actions international students may take to find employment:
- Click on “student login”
- Click on “create an account”
- Follow the steps to create an account
- Search and apply for posted jobs that interest you
- Look at the job board in the Student Employment Office (2024 WSC) and speak with a representative there for additional help.
3) Get Hired
- Request a “Department Verification of Employment” form from the department that is hiring you.
- Apply for a Social Security Card if you don’t have one (office is located at 484 North Freedom Blvd. Provo).
- Request Letter of Certification online or at International Services (1351 WSC). Bring the following items with you to International Services:
- Letter of Certification
- Department Verification of Employment from Department
- Identification Card
- Go to Student Employment Services to fill out an I-9 form and be hired (2024 WSC). Bring the following documents with you:
- I-94 (found in passport)
- Social Security Card
- Go to Payroll Office in D-55 ASB with all documents and fill out the W-4 or Tax Treaty form
- Fill out the Direct Deposit form online
- Start Working!
Remember, International Students should not go over 20 hours per week! It will result in loss of employment and legal status. You can find more information on how many hours a student may work per week by visiting the “Amount of Work Allowed” page.